Investigation Into the Opinion of Some Selected Nursery and Primary School Teachers, on the Roles of Child Up-bringing Practice on Early Childhood Education in Epe Local Government Area of Lagos State
Content Structure of Investigation Into the Opinion of Some Selected Nursery and Primary School Teachers, on the Roles of Child Up-bringing Practice on Early Childhood Education in Epe Local Government Area of Lagos State
- The abstract contains the research problem, the objectives, methodology, results, and recommendations
- Chapter one of this thesis or project materials contains the background to the study, the research problem, the research questions, research objectives, research hypotheses, significance of the study, the scope of the study, organization of the study, and the operational definition of terms.
- Chapter two contains relevant literature on the issue under investigation. The chapter is divided into five parts which are the conceptual review, theoretical review, empirical review, conceptual framework, and gaps in research
- Chapter three contains the research design, study area, population, sample size and sampling technique, validity, reliability, source of data, operationalization of variables, research models, and data analysis method
- Chapter four contains the data analysis and the discussion of the findings
- Chapter five contains the summary of findings, conclusions, recommendations, contributions to knowledge, and recommendations for further studies.
- References: The references are in APA
Chapter One of Investigation Into the Opinion of Some Selected Nursery and Primary School Teachers, on the Roles of Child Up-bringing Practice on Early Childhood Education in Epe Local Government Area of Lagos State
Background to the study
Child up-bringing practices and early childhood education are usually tied to the beliefs about what life is all about and how to sustain it in the society. This is not peculiar to Africa alone, as it is common to all races, there is a greater percentage of influence which child upbringing practices have over early childhood education.
Babajire (2000). According to a biblical expression that says teach your child the way to go, so that when he grows up, he will not depart from it”. This expression agrees with the provision in National Policy on Education (2013) which highlights purpose of early childhood education as provision of the necessary stimulation and opportunities of the right level and development of the child.
For years, anthropologists, sociologist and psychologists have been providing descriptions of how children are raised within cultures around the world, including the beliefs and practices surrounding pregnancy, child birth and treatment of young children.
According to UN1CEF consultative group report on early childhood care and development (1993), child upbringing practices are enabled in the culture and determine to a large extent, the behaviour and expectations surrounding child’s birth and infancy. This also influences the early childhood, adolescence and the way these children bring up their own children in future. Furthermore, the submission of the anthropologists, sociologists, and psychologists suggest that child up-bringing consists of practices, which are grounded in cultural practices pattern and beliefs, these include breast feeding and weaning, toilet training, language development, social and emotional development. All these have impacts on the early childhood education of individual.
Maduewesi (2007) defines early childhood education or pre-school education as a semi – formal education arrangement, usually outside the home where by young children from about the age of three to five are exposed through play like activities in a group setting to social and physical learning which are proportionate to their development, until the mandatory age of government approved formal schooling.
National Policy on Education, the following are highlighted as the objectives of early childhood/pre-school education:
- To effect a smooth transition from home to school.
- To prepare the child for the primary level of education.
- To provide adequate care and supervision for the children while their parents are at work (on the farm, in the market, offices etc.)
- To inculcate social norms.
- To inculcate in the child, the spirit of enquiry and creativity through the exploration of nature, the environment, art music and playing toys.
- To develop a sense of cooperation and team work
- To learn good habit, especially good health habits.
- To teach the rudiments of numbers letters, colours, shape, forms and through play.
Thus since the education of the child starts right from home being the first place he interacts with, the kind of up-bringing practices employed by parents or guardian has lots to do in the education of children in the early years. In other words, there is significant relationship between the transit from home to the school and the objectives of early childhood education as stated in the National Policy on Education.
Statement of the Problem
Series of problems have been identified by scholars in the social sciences which are affecting the early childhood education among which are environment heredity and so on.
- These identified factors tend to indicate the rate at which children in the pre- school centers learn, interact and explore.
- To investigate into child up-bringing practices and it’s implication on early childhood education.
Purpose of the Study
The purpose of this study is to investigate the opinion of some selected nursery and primary school teachers, on the roles of child up-bringing practice on early childhood education in Epe local Government Area of Lagos State.
Specifically the study sets to achieve
- Find out if child up-bringing practice have impact on early childhood education?
- Find out if child up-bringing practice have any negative effect on childhood education?
- Find out if child up-bringing practice have any implication on the behavior and future of child?
Answers will be sought to the following research questions
- Does child up-bringing practice have impact on early childhood education?
- Does child up-bringing practice have any negative effect on childhood education?
- Does child up-bringing practice have any implication on the behavior and future of a child?
- There is a relationship between child up-bringing practice and benefit of early childhood education?
- There is a relationship between child up-bringing practice and any negative effect on childhood education?
- There is a relationship between child up-bringing practice and any implication on the behavior and future of child?
- There is a relationship between child up-bringing practice and school environment?
Scope of the Study
This study is limited to the nursery and primary schools teacher in Epe Local Government Area of Lagos State. Such nursery and primary schools include:
- Jolayemi Nursery and Primary School.
- St. Michael Primary School.
- Christ the redeemer Nursery and primary.
- Christ Church Nursery and primary.
- Luyepo primary school.
- Lupetoro primary school.
- Faith foundation Nursery and primary school.
- Rosenik Nursery and primary school.
- St-Theresa Nursery and primary school.
- St-Theresa primary school.
Significance of The Study
The outcome of the study would help to determine the various child up-bringing practices employed by parent and the importance of this practices on the early childhood education. Also parent will be able to admit the fact that the child up-bringing practices which ever one is employed by the parent affect the education of their wards.
The study identify deficiencies in the use of child up-bringing practices in relation to early childhood education and offer useful suggestion to parent on the right choice of child up-bringing practices.
The result of the study also identify and acknowledge the implication of child up-bringing practices which ever employed on the behavior and future of a child and also offer useful suggestions on why parent should take time in the use of parenting styles.
Limitation of the Study
The time frame for this study has made it impossible for the researcher to sample a larger population because it has to be conducted and submitted within a stipulated time. This is the reason why the study was limited to primary school teachers, parent, and guardian in Epe Local Government Area of Lagos State.
Definition of Terms
=- Child: – A young person who is not yet an adult.
=- Child up Bring :- Is the process of promoting and supporting the physical, emotional, social, financial, and intellectual development of a child from infancy to adulthood.
=- Education :- It is the process of teaching and learning usually at school
=- Parenting :- Activity of looking after children
=- Practices:- They are method or custom in doing things.
=- Style:- The way in which a person or group of people typically does something
=- Child up bring:- is the process of promoting and supporting the physical, emotional, social, financial, and intellectual development of a child from infancy to adulthood.