Assessment of the Role of Teachers in Classroom Management in Secondary Schools Inn Nigeria
Content Structure of Assessment of the Role of Teachers in Classroom Management in Secondary Schools Inn Nigeria
- The abstract contains the research problem, the objectives, methodology, results, and recommendations
- Chapter one of this thesis or project materials contains the background to the study, the research problem, the research questions, research objectives, research hypotheses, significance of the study, the scope of the study, organization of the study, and the operational definition of terms.
- Chapter two contains relevant literature on the issue under investigation. The chapter is divided into five parts which are the conceptual review, theoretical review, empirical review, conceptual framework, and gaps in research
- Chapter three contains the research design, study area, population, sample size and sampling technique, validity, reliability, source of data, operationalization of variables, research models, and data analysis method
- Chapter four contains the data analysis and the discussion of the findings
- Chapter five contains the summary of findings, conclusions, recommendations, contributions to knowledge, and recommendations for further studies.
- References: The references are in APA
Chapter One of Assessment of the Role of Teachers in Classroom Management in Secondary Schools Inn Nigeria
Classroom Management is about creation of positive learning environments. But the concept of positive learning environment is both broad and vague.
Despite educator’s concerns with the nature of classroom learning environments, few recent studies have investigated either teachers’ knowledge or practices of classroom management in positive learning environments. As such there is inadequate understanding of how teachers support both engaged learning and positive social interaction (Oakes, 2009).
In this regard, so many writers and researchers have urged educators to move toward broader and more comprehensive positions on issues of classroom management in (Jones, 2006). As Jones advocates, “at its best, classroom management is not only a means to effective instruction, it has also becomes a vehicle for providing students with a sense of community and increased skills in interpersonal communication, conflict management and self control.
Nevertheless, lack of recent empirical evidence has left educators without clear direction and understandings of what knowledge and practices teachers utilize in creating and managing socially complex learning environments. It is as if educators understand the blueprints for a house, but not the tools with which to construct it. As such educators are hampered in their efforts to provide prospective teachers with the appropriate tools to implement their visions for establishing positive learning environment. It is against this background the researchers sees the subject matter of this research as an empirical issue worthy of investigation.
Statement of the Problem
The difficulty of novices in dealing with the complexities of teaching and the social immediacy of the classroom is no small issue. This is so because most teachers are constraint by classroom management because of the dynamic nature of teaching. On the other hand, the complexity of classroom setting also impede teaching sequel to the perception by beginning teachers that classroom management is complex. This is an obstacle to effective planning for positive learning environment. As such the subject matter: The role of teachers in classroom management is seen as an empirical issue worthy of investigation.
Objective of the Study
The central objective of this research is to examine the role of the teacher in classroom management, the specific objectives are:
- To examine the function of teacher in classroom management.
- To identify the effectiveness of classroom management on student achievement in Rimi College, Kaduna.
- To find out how classroom management influence development setting in Rimi College, Kaduna.
- To identify the problem militating against classroom management in Rimi College, Kaduna.
Significance of the Study
The significance of a study of this magnitude cannot be overemphasized, local government education department, state and federal ministries of Education involved in policy formulation and implementation, school management, incoming students and above all teachers as well as researchers will find this really significant especially as they utilize the findings.
To the local government departments as well as state and federal ministries of education engage in policy formulation and implementation, the finding of this study can be used as a basis for enacting policies that will effectively improve the quality of classroom management and standard of education.
School management can also use the result of this study as an insight in formulating strategies to effectively run their schools.
It should be noted that this study is of scholarly importance. As such teachers as well as students undertaking research work similar to the present study and other scholars alike who may wish to use this work as a reference material or a springboard for their own research, will find this study useful.
The following research questions will be used to guide the study:
- What are the functions of the teacher in classroom management in Rimi College, Kaduna?
- What is the effectiveness of classroom management on students’ achievement in Rimi College Kaduna?
- How does classroom management influence development setting in Rimi College Kaduna?
- What are the problems militating against Classroom managements in Rimi College Kaduna?
Scope of the Study
The scope of the study covers an empirical examination of the role of teachers in classroom management in Rimi College Kaduna; as well as the functions of the teacher in classroom management. The study equally covers the effectiveness of classroom management on students achievement in Rimi College Kaduna as well as the influence of classroom management on development and the problems militating against classroom management in Rimi College.
Definition of Terms
Teacher: Lesson instructor and class manager in school (Okoh, 2002).
Educational Leadership: This is the process of formulating and implementing educational policies in Schools (Bolam, 1999).
School Management: This is an act of getting things done through planning, organizing, coordinating and monitoring school activities in order to achieve the school goal.
Classroom Management: This is planning and setting of rules procedures, disciplinary interventions and teacher-student Relationships in schools.
Educational Policy: Policy is a statement of government on education.
Head Teacher: A teacher who is in charge of primary school.
Administration: This is the act of planning, organizing and coordination of human and material resources in order to implement government policy in primary school.
Teachers Education: The training and retraining of teachers through further studies in institution of higher learning.
Transformational Leadership: This is a leadership style that completed change old techniques to new and much more effective technique.
Teachers Knowledge: Information, understanding and skills that teachers gain through education or experience.