A Critical Evaluation of Impact of Digital Broadcasting on Electronic Media. (a Study of Ait)
Content Structure of A Critical Evaluation of Impact of Digital Broadcasting on Electronic Media. (a Study of Ait)
- The abstract contains the research problem, the objectives, methodology, results, and recommendations
- Chapter one of this thesis or project materials contains the background to the study, the research problem, the research questions, research objectives, research hypotheses, significance of the study, the scope of the study, organization of the study, and the operational definition of terms.
- Chapter two contains relevant literature on the issue under investigation. The chapter is divided into five parts which are the conceptual review, theoretical review, empirical review, conceptual framework, and gaps in research
- Chapter three contains the research design, study area, population, sample size and sampling technique, validity, reliability, source of data, operationalization of variables, research models, and data analysis method
- Chapter four contains the data analysis and the discussion of the findings
- Chapter five contains the summary of findings, conclusions, recommendations, contributions to knowledge, and recommendations for further studies.
- References: The references are in APA
Chapter One of A Critical Evaluation of Impact of Digital Broadcasting on Electronic Media. (a Study of Ait)
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
On June 16, 2006, a resolution on digitalization for broadcasters in Europe, Africa and Middle East as well as the Islamic Republic of Iran was reached in Geneva, Switzerland at an international conference organized by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU). A deadline of 17th June,2015 was agreed upon for the effective take off of digitalization of the broadcast media.
As part of the resolution, the ITU deadline refers to the digitalization of TV Broadcasting only, while that of Radio was not determined yet. Furthermore, the ITU agreement allows for an additional five years to 2020 for many African countries including Nigeria. Accordingly, representatives of 120 countries including Nigeria adopted and signed the digitalization treaty.
The document states, in part: “Digitalization of broadcasting by 2015represents a major landmark towards establishing a more equitable, just and people-centered information society.
The digital switchovers will leap-frog existing technologies to connect the unconnected in underserved and remote communities and close the digital divide.”(Akin Akingbuluet al 2010&KabirGarba 2012) The International Telecommunications Union (ITU) ,agreement further stated the transition from analogue to digital broadcasting is based on the following premise ,improving coverage of digital TV transmission, ensuring that bandwidth are available for wireless broadband services, enhancing sound and picture quality, in particular HDTV, enabling more channels (additional content) and giving unfettered access to digital radio transmission.
Global Update In full demonstration of the ITU mandate, the global report of the implementation drive is quite encouraging, as stated in the just concluded Digital Dialogue Dubai Conference, 2013. The United Kingdom broadcast media has accomplished its switch over from analogue to digital between 2005 and 2012. Mike Hughes Broadcast Director, Digital UK said the implementation team comprised of BBC, ITV4,5,SA/C. Teletext, SDNARQIVA, and two representatives of manufacturers and retailers. The project cost about $700 million.
In Africa, Kenya has raised the bar for others. Daniel Obam , National Communications Secretariat report; “Kenya had adopted a phased migration, which would see 10 cities switching over between January this year and June 2014. As part of the plan, Nairobi and its environs would migrate on December 13, 2013”.the best thing to happen in the broadcast media market, since the Nigerian consumer has been taken for a ride for too long.
“We had been subjected to poor quality services by operators. But this development wouldenable us move ahead at a speed the world is moving in broadcasting The research therefore intends to provide a critical evaluation of impact of digital broadcasting on electronic media with a case study of AIT.
STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The challenge confronted with the analogue transmission of broadcast media in terms of limitation of area coverage, poor quality images and sound among others led to the resolution to the transmission from analogue to digital transmission. However the attainment of this objective is yet to be determined in Nigeria. This therefore constitute the problem confronting this research, to critically evaluate the impact of digital broadcasting on electronic media, with a case study of AIT.
1 What is the nature of digital broadcasting on electronic media
2What is the impact of digital broadcasting on electronic media
3What are the challenges of digital broadcasting
4What is the impact of digital broadcasting in AIT.
OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
- To appraise the nature of digital broadcasting in electronic media
- To determine the impact of digital broadcasting in electronic media
- To evaluate the challenges in digital broadcasting in electronic media
- To determine the impact of digital broadcasting in AIT.
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
- The study shall provide a conceptual and theoretical framework of the nature of digital broadcasting in electronic media.
- The study shall be of immense value to professionals in the broadcast media
- The study shall serve a reference point of information on digital broadcasting
STATEMENT OF THE HYPOTHESIS
1 H0 There is no digital broadcasting AIT
H1 There is digital broadcasting in AIT
- H0 The challenge of digital broadcasting in AIT is low
H1 The challenge of digital broadcasting in AIT is high
- H0 The impact of digital broadcasting in AIT is low
H1 The impact of digital broadcasting in AIT is high
SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The study centers on the critical evaluation of the impact of digital broadcasting on electronic media .it evaluates the nature , challenges and the impact of digital broadcasting, with a case analysis of digital broadcasting in AIT.
DEFINITION OF TERMS
Generally, Digitization is a broad term spanning the media industry including the prints and the electronic media. It is the representation of an object ,image, sound, document, or a signal usually an analog signal by a discreet set of its points or sample the result of these processes are digital representation, digital image for an object and digital form for a signal.