Effects of Information System on Nigerian Education
Content Structure of Effects of Information System on Nigerian Education
- The abstract contains the research problem, the objectives, methodology, results, and recommendations
- Chapter one of this thesis or project materials contains the background to the study, the research problem, the research questions, research objectives, research hypotheses, significance of the study, the scope of the study, organization of the study, and the operational definition of terms.
- Chapter two contains relevant literature on the issue under investigation. The chapter is divided into five parts which are the conceptual review, theoretical review, empirical review, conceptual framework, and gaps in research
- Chapter three contains the research design, study area, population, sample size and sampling technique, validity, reliability, source of data, operationalization of variables, research models, and data analysis method
- Chapter four contains the data analysis and the discussion of the findings
- Chapter five contains the summary of findings, conclusions, recommendations, contributions to knowledge, and recommendations for further studies.
- References: The references are in APA
Chapter One of Effects of Information System on Nigerian Education
Background to the Study
Over the centuries, even far back as the ancient Greek and Roman times, the educational process has always precluded the presence of the tutor. The content and learning systems always went hand in hand with the teacher and the relationship that ensued from this triangular structure has been argued to have contributed, shaped and effected learning itself. And the educational information, that is the teaching content was always designed with this relationship in mind factoring in how it will bear upon the outcome of a teaching process.
Even before secondary and university levels of education, the orientation that learning always implicates the tutor and a need to respect and rely on him or her is instilled in children so that the teacher is the always the custodian of the information system in Nigeria’s educational sector. He or she is challenged with designing the teaching materials and structuring a system of delivering it’s content to the students with their learning habits in mind.
However, with the advent of information technology (IT), the information system of every educational institution in the country and the world at large has been affected deeply. Primary, secondary and tertiary schools have been forced to change their information systems after all the information technologies and their gadgets. The universities have been most affected and with time the same is happening to the secondary schools with equal speed. In the country most Universities both government owned and privately owned have installed the WiFi devices all over the school to give the students free access to the internet. Most universities too have made it mandatory for entry schools to have a laptop computer and /or its equivalent. Against this background, we set out to study the effects of information system on Nigerian education.
Statement of the Problem
The introduction of information technology and its application to education in Nigerian has offset the information system and reshaped it. In itself it is a welcome development as educational materials can be got online without the long process of looking for a tutor and enrolling into a school. Serious students can now use Google’s user friendly information system to access and download lesson content from the internet.
However, with time we see that the present information system doesn’t affect the education in Nigeria positively. There are also growing concerns in its implications. This is what calls for a deep study which before now hasn’t been carried out to find the effects of Information system on Nigerian education.
The following questions have guided this research work:
In what ways does information systems affect education generally and Nigerian education specifically
To what extend does it affect it negatively.
What are the legal policies to be made in order to combat those negative implications.
Objectives of the Study
The purpose of this research work is to enquire into the effects of information systems and identify the various ways it affects Nigerian education by finding out the various ways the information system is used by both teachers and students the education that has gone into the use to avoid any abuse and it’s encroaching into the proper educational process.
To achieve this singular, yet multi purposed research, the following objectives are to be reached:
- To do a clear reading of the information system of the education sector and delineate how it relates with the general mission and vision of the school.
- Study the different common effects of information system on education especially at the tertiary level.
Significance of the Study
This research work hopes to throw light on the effects of information system on education in Nigeria and give educationists in universities draw up a better information system for the school. Coordinate the use and availability of hard and online materials in the schools. The institutions that havent had a definite information system designed can work after the present study in making and avoiding any issue that might arise in terms of copyright issues in case of IT based information system.
The assumption guiding this present research work is that the information system adopted by every institute have effects on the educational process of both students and teachers.
Scope of the Study
The research will focus more on tertiary institutions as they are the ones that usually use an organized system of information compartment. The universities that will be used as case studies will be a university, a polytechnic and a college of education to cover all section of information organization types. The different effects are going to be organized and studied between the positive and negatives effects.
Limitations of the Study
The only limitation met by this research is that of time to fully do justice to the literature available for reading and reviewing. Another apart from the time factor is that of space.
Definition of Terms
This is an organized system of creating, saving, processing and storing information by an organization and also the way this information is shared and contributed among a particular network of users.